While a fair amount of financial planning is usually done before booking a vacation, it’s also important to plan for using your SLFCU credit or debit card while you’re away from home.
All SLFCU credit and debit cards are protected by a system that detects unusual patterns of activity and may block transactions outside of your usual spending patterns or home area. In most cases, you will receive a call to verify the questionable transaction is legitimate. You can avoid unnecessary interruptions during your vacation by following these tips while preparing for your trip.
NOTIFY SLFCU OF YOUR TRAVEL DATES AND DESTINATIONS.
We will make a note on your account, which can help ensure transactions are approved and minimize fraud verification phone calls.
- Notify us by calling 505.293.0500 or 800.947.5328, sending us a secure message in online banking, or visiting any branch.
- We will need to know which debit or credit cards you plan to use, which states or countries you will be visiting, your dates of travel, and how we can reach you while you are away.
- We recommend notifying us at least 24 hours prior to your travel.
ENSURE YOUR CELL PHONE IS LISTED AS YOUR PRIMARY CONTACT NUMBER.
If there is a question about activity on your account, we will call you for verification.
- You can view or change your primary contact number in our mobile banking app or by logging in to online banking at slfcu.org. Your contact information can be viewed under Settings > Contact.
- If you will be out of reach by phone and are using your SLFCU debit card while traveling, consider adding an authorized alternate contact to your account. This should be someone you trust to approve or deny purchases and who can get in touch with you regarding any issues that may arise. To add an alternate contact, please speak with an SLFCU representative.
KNOW YOUR PIN.
Many foreign merchants have structured their payment terminals to accept only PIN transactions.
- If you do not know your debit card PIN, please visit any SLFCU branch before your trip.
- To obtain or change a PIN for your credit card, please call 888.886.0083.
KNOW WHICH ATMS YOU CAN USE.
- SLFCU members have access to 28,000 surcharge-free ATMs throughout the United States with the CU Anytime and CO-OP ATM networks.
- Download the SLFCU mobile app before you leave to quickly find ATMs while traveling.
- Links to Visa and Mastercard Global ATM Locators are also available at slfcu.org/Locations in the Additional Locators section.
LEARN ABOUT THE TRAVEL FEATURES AND BENEFITS INCLUDED WITH YOUR SLFCU CREDIT OR DEBIT CARD.
Depending on which card you carry, your SLFCU credit or debit card may have extra features and benefits that can be helpful while you are away from home.
From travel accident insurance and emergency services to a 24-hour concierge service that can assist you with making dinner reservations or getting tickets to a sporting event, understanding all the benefits of your SLFCU credit card can help you make the most of your vacation.
« Return to "View All Articles"