SLFCU’s term certificates offer a safe way to earn higher dividends and a guaranteed return on your deposits at maturity. With our competitive rates, we can help you meet important savings goals. Make your money work harder and enjoy returns that you can access at your certificate’s maturity. Check out our current rates.
Our 14-month term certificate special. Earn up to 5.00% APY* with a minimum of a $5,000 deposit in new money.** Available to personal and business members. Learn more.
Our 16-month term certificate. Earn 4.00%APY* with a minimum of $500 in deposits. Withdraw up to 50% of the funds each calendar month with no penalty fee. Available to personal and business members. Learn more.
TERM CERTIFICATE SPECIALS
Limited-time certificates that you can typically open with $500. Available to personal members only. Learn about our current term certificate specials.
BUMP RATE TERM CERTIFICATES
Take advantage of rising rates with a one-time option to raise (or “bump up”) the dividend rate during the term. Available to personal and business members. IRA Bump Rate Term Certificates are also available.
IRA TERM CERTIFICATES
These tax-advantaged retirement accounts can help diversify your portfolio with stable, dependable income. Open with $500 or more. 3- to 60-month terms. Available to personal members only. Learn more.
A term certificate is a type of savings account offered by financial institutions. Banks call them certificates of deposit (CDs), and credit unions (like SLFCU) call them term certificates. Generally, when you open a term certificate, you agree to keep your money in that account without taking a withdrawal for the term (i.e., the time period) specified for the certificate.
In return, you’ll earn a designated dividend rate for the entire term. Typically, this rate is higher than a basic savings account can offer. The term’s end date is called the maturity date, and the 10 days that follow that date are known as the grace period. During the grace period, you can close out the certificate and withdraw or move the funds. If you do nothing during the grace period, the certificate typically will renew at the same term, although the interest rate may have changed from when the certificate was first opened.
Note that in most cases, withdrawing money early (i.e., before certificate’s maturity date) means paying a penalty fee. Make sure you can commit to leaving the funds untouched for the duration. Consider your overall financial goals, risk tolerance, and liquidity needs before making any investment decision.
- Guaranteed return at maturity. With a fixed rate and specific terms, you can expect a stable, predictable return on your investment.
- Higher dividend rates. Your money could grow at a faster rate with an SLFCU term certificate. Our certificates offer higher dividend rates than typical savings accounts, especially for longer-term deposits.
- Safety. Our term certificates are federally insured through the National Credit Union Association (NCUA) up to $250,000, which provides an added layer of protection for your funds.
- Diversification. Term certificates can be a great component of a diversified investment portfolio. By depositing some of your funds in a term certificate, you can balance risk and potentially enhance your overall investment strategy.
- To reach a financial goal. A term certificate can be useful to reach specific savings goals, such as a down payment on a house, a vacation, or other big purchase. Choose a certificate that aligns with your savings timeline to ensure that the funds are available when you need them.
*APY = Annual Percentage Yield.
**Minimum balance of $100,000 required to earn 5.00% APY.
Share accounts are federally insured to at least $250,000 by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an agency of the US Government. Yields determined at the time of investment. Dividend Rate and APY may change at the discretion of the Board of Directors. A penalty may be imposed for early withdrawal. Visit slfcu.org/Rates for more information.