SLFCU 2019 Essay Scholarship Competition
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MAY 31, 2019
SLFCU members attending college in 2019-2020 are invited to enter our annual essay scholarship competition with a top award of $3,000. Applicants must be new or returning students with a minimum 2.5 GPA who will attend a full-time bachelor’s or master’s program at an accredited institution. Previous winners are welcome to enter.
The first-place winner will receive a $3,000 scholarship for their education expenses. The number and dollar amounts of additional scholarships will be determined by the number of entries and judging results. Winners will be notified in August 2019, and will be posted to slfcu.org/Scholarships on September 3, 2019. Winners will also be featured in the September Dollars & Sense newsletter. Tax liability on prize monies is the responsibility of the recipient.
The 2019 SLFCU Scholarship Competition is open to SLFCU members in good standing who:
- Will be new or returning full-time students in the 2019 - 2020 academic year to a bachelor's or master's program at an accredited institution (Note: associate and doctoral degree candidates are not eligible to participate in SLFCU's scholarship competition)
- Are the primary account holder of an SLFCU Savings Account (not a beneficiary of a custodial account)
- Are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents of the United States
- Are not employees or volunteers of SLFCU
Winners of previous SLFCU scholarship competitions are eligible.
- An original essay of no more than 500 words in length in PDF format and addressing the topic "How did you determine the cost of college was worthwhile to you?" Please double-space your essay narrative.
- A PDF copy of your latest grade transcript labeled with your name and school showing a current cumulative grade point average (high school or college) of at least 2.5
- A concise PDF resume listing your academic honors, sports, extracurricular activities, accomplishments, volunteer activities, and/or work experience
- One (1) PDF letter of reference provided by an adult (teacher, counselor, coach, employer, etc.) to whom you are not related
- The 2019 Scholarship Application
APPLICATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
SLFCU will only consider completed applications that are received by the deadline – 11:59 p.m. (Mountain Time), May 31, 2019.
- Save and upload all documents (essay, grade transcript, resume) as PDFs. Please do not include your name within the essay's content or the document's filename. For example: Essay.pdf
- Instruct anyone writing your reference letter they must submit their letter by 11:59 p.m. on May 31, 2019. Enter the email address of your reference in the designated section of your application. Your reference will receive an email with a link to upload a reference letter (PDF is preferred). Make sure the reference includes your full name in their letter. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that the letter of recommendation has been submitted.
- Complete the 2019 Scholarship Application.
SCHOLARSHIP JUDGE REQUEST
SLFCU seeks 30 volunteer judges to help select winning entries for the 2019 scholarship competition. Judges will score student essays and the process will be completed online. If you are an SLFCU member at least 18 years of age and are not related to any of the applicants, we invite you to volunteer to help choose our winners.
Essays will be judged on the following criteria:
- How well the essay addresses the topic
- Grammar and syntax
- Organization and clarity