SLFCU 2017 Essay Scholarship Competition
The 2017 SLFCU Scholarship Competition is open to SLFCU members in good standing who:
- will be new or returning full-time students in 2017 to a bachelor's or master's program at an accredited institution;
- are the primary account holder of an SLFCU Share Savings account (not a beneficiary of a custodial account);
- are U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents of the United States;
- and are not employees or volunteers of SLFCU.
Winners of previous SLFCU scholarship competitions are eligible.
- An original essay of approximately 500 words exploring the theme: “What are the advantages and disadvantages of borrowing money?”
- A copy of your latest grade report labeled with your name and school showing a current cumulative grade point average (high school or college) of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale;
- A concise resume listing your academic honors, sports, extracurricular activities, accomplishments, volunteer activities, and/or work experience;
- One (1) letter of recommendation provided by an adult (teacher, counselor, coach, employer, etc.) to whom you are not related; and
- The 2017 Scholarship Application.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
SLFCU will only consider applications that are complete and received by the deadline – 11:59 p.m. (Mountain Time), May 31, 2017.
- Email required materials to email@example.com.
- Save any non-electronic documents (essay, grade report, resume) as PDFs. Include your name in the filename of all documents. For example: JohnSmithEssay.pdf or JaneSmithGradeReport.pdf.
- Attach documents to an email with the subject line: SLFCU Scholarship.
- Instruct anyone writing your letter of recommendation that they need to email their letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF with the subject line SLFCU Scholarship. Please make sure the reference includes your full name in the letter and in the email. We will not accept letters emailed by anyone other than the reference letter’s author. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that their letter of recommendation has been submitted. SLFCU cannot confirm the receipt of recommendation letters.
- Complete the 2017 Scholarship Application.
The SLFCU Scholarship Committee will ensure applications are complete and facilitate the judging of the essays, which will be conducted by SLFCU member volunteers. These judges must be at least 18 years of age and cannot be related to any of the applicants.
Essays will be judged on the following criteria:
- How well the essay addresses the topic
- Grammar and syntax
- Organization and clarity
The first place winner will receive a $3,000 scholarship. The number and dollar amounts of additional scholarships will be determined by the number of entries and judging results. Winners will be notified by August 2017, and will be posted to www.slfcu.org/Scholarship on August 11. Winners will also be featured in the September Dollars & Sense newsletter.Go to main navigation