If you’re planning to buy a new vehicle, carefully timing your shopping may help you secure the best deal. Visiting dealers when they are most willing to negotiate could save you hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. Here are some good times to consider as you shop for your new car or truck:
- End of the calendar year: You’re more likely to get the best price as dealerships are trying to reduce overall inventory before the new year.
- End of the month or quarter: A salesperson may be trying to meet sales goals or earn a bonus.
- When the dealership isn’t busy: Demand is lower when it’s raining or snowing, and early in the week rather than the weekends. Salespeople will be able to give you more attention.
- End of the day: If you are committed to buying that day, the salesperson may be more willing to negotiate in order to close a sale and head home.
- Around a holiday: Dealerships often have special sales for holidays like Black Friday or Memorial Day. New Year’s Eve can also be a good time to buy as a salesperson could be trying to meet a yearly sales goal.
Getting pre-approved for your auto loan could give you even more negotiating power at the dealership. You can apply for pre-approval and get a response in as few as fifteen minutes at slfcu.org/AutoLoans.
« Return to "View All Articles"